So, in case you’ve forgotten, last week when my dad & sister were visiting, we picked up this really awesome dresser/changing table from a local thrift store. It’s exactly what we wanted, and it’s in really good condition, but… it was also plain white and had a few less than perfect spots. We weren’t really planning on going all out on a nursery, as I think I maybe mentioned before just based on the fact that we’re planning to move before the baby is very old, but I guess that’s not the case anymore, because our baby now is well on her way to an awesome Space themed room.
First, Chris sanded down the table. Like I said it really was in pretty great condition, there were just a few spots that needed some smoothing out. Specifically, around the bar in the front, and on the side, so I imagine those will be areas I’ll have to be careful around? It only took a few minutes, and then we were ready to paint!
We settled on a color called Holland’s Golden Tulip, which I love. I’ve loved the idea of a yellow and grey baby’s room for a while, so I’m pretty stoked that painting this huge piece gave me the opportunity to actually get it. Like I said, it’s definitely space themed, but there will be primarily yellow and grey throughout.
It took us three coats of paint to get it completely covered. Honestly, it probably would have taken less if we would have rented a sander and sanded down the whole thing, but we’re on a budget, so we only sanded the rough parts. It ended up such a rich, almost reddish yellow which we are both really stoked about.
Book lovers, you may want to avert your eyes for this next part. I bought this Deluxe Little Golden Book astronomy book off etsy, and then spent about an hour cutting it apart. I thought I’d need WAY more than we ended up needing, so I cut out each picture and then also saved the text blocks too, just in case. We still have a TON, so this book may pop up again in the nursery somehow. Then it was time to move on to decorating the drawer fronts.
(Actually, we’re 100% framing the empty book cover to hang above the finished table just to kind of pay honor to it. We’re book people. We’re just also DIY people.)
We took all of the hundreds of pictures we had cut out and began choosing our favorites and arranging them. This actually ended up being a fun game of keeping each drawer sort of thematic and it was a bit like doing a puzzle. Lots of different sized pictures to sort through. We also tried to keep captions where possible, because what’s the point of a science themed dresser if you can’t actually LEARN from it?!
Also, pro tip coming at you here, when you plan to decoupage a bunch of images onto a dresser drawer front, make sure you pay extra attention to which way is UP on your drawer. Luckily, we only screwed up one, and have a very handy neighbor who helped us redrill some holes so we could flip the drawer front upside down and still use it.
And finally, here it is (ALMOST) completely finished! I’m so in love with it, it turned out exactly how it looked in my head. The only incomplete thing, is that my bestie is going to paint some rocket ships and stuff like that on the knobs so that they’re also customized. She’s a way better artist than either Chris or I, so they’ll look way better if she does them. For now though, this labor of love is ready to be filled with all of those clothes my sister brought with her last week 🙂
And here are just two close up photos of the drawers if anyone wants to really examine the pictures!
I’m definitely excited for a few more DIY projects for this room, including a temporary closet/cabinet type piece, a mobile to hang from the ceiling and some art for the walls, so I’ll be sure to keep you guys updated on that too!
Thanks for reading 🙂